FSPR Volunteer Service/Activity Description
Clean-up and Trash Removal:
Description: Clean up and disposal of trash and dumping areas to keep public lands clean and beautiful and safe.
1. Location: San Pedro River National Conservation Area, specific locations determined in project planning
2. Time/schedule commitments: Special projects planned and announced in advance, 3 to 4 hour workday or longer depending on project.
3. Use of government vehicle: Will be operated by government employee to haul loads to landfill. May ride as passenger in government vehicle.
4. Use of personal vehicle: For volunteerŐs personal transportation to work site.
5. Tools and equipment: Trash bags, litter pick up tools, shovels, and trash bags. May work near or around heavy equipment.
6. Personal tools and equipment: Gloves and personal protective clothes and footwear. Drinking water and food.
7. Skills and abilities needed: Walking on natural terrain, picking up and carrying trash or trash bags, heavy or cumbersome loads.
Training and certifications: Recognizing potential hazards encountered in trash. Lifting and carrying loads and tools.
8. Level of physical activity: Moderately strenuous due to walking, picking up and carrying loads.
9. Hazards or risks: Walking outdoors on natural terrain, uneven and rough ground, sometimes in remote locations. Potential cuts and punctures, potential pathogens, hazardous materials. Hazardous materials will be reported to BLM representative on site, and will not be handled or removed by volunteers. Encounters with stinging and biting insects, wildlife, allergens (dust, pollen). Encounters with undocumented immigrants, drug smugglers, hunters.