FSPR Volunteer Service/Activity Description
Description: Trim weeds and trail path and edges keep public lands accessible and safe.
1. Location: San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, specific locations determined in project planning
2. Time/schedule commitments: Special projects planned and announced in advance, 3 to 4 hour workday or longer depending on project.
3. Use of government vehicle: Will be operated by government employee as needed to haul clippings and debris. May ride as passenger in government vehicle.
4. Use of personal vehicle: For volunteerŐs personal transportation to work site.
5. Tools and equipment: Weed trimmers and other similar power tools. May work near or around mowers or other heavy equipment.
6. Personal tools and equipment: Gloves and personal protective clothes and footwear. Drinking water and food/snacks, hat, sunblock.
7. Skills and abilities needed: Walking on natural terrain, picking up and carrying equipment or trash bags, sometimes heavy or cumbersome loads.
Training and certifications: Recognizing potential hazards encountered along trails. Lifting and carrying loads and tools.
8. Level of physical activity: Moderately strenuous due to walking, picking up and carrying loads.
9. Hazards or risks: Walking outdoors on natural terrain, uneven and rough ground, sometimes in remote locations. Potential cuts and punctures, potential pathogens, hazardous materials. Hazardous materials will be reported to BLM representative on site, and will not be handled or removed by volunteers. Encounters with stinging and biting insects, wildlife, allergens (dust, pollen). Encounters with undocumented immigrants, drug smugglers, hunters.