FSPR Volunteer Service/Activity Description
Vegetation surveys and monitoring:
Description: Locate, identify, and record data on forms to inventory specific plant species, and/or other natural resources. Limit impacts to wildlife and landscape as much as possible.
1. Location: San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, specific locations determined in project planning
2. Time/schedule commitments: Special projects planned and announced in advance, 3 to 4 hour workday or longer depending on project.
3. Use of government vehicle: Will be operated by government employee as needed to reach work site. Will ride as passenger in government vehicle to survey location.
4. Use of personal vehicle: For volunteerŐs personal transportation to meeting point.
5. Tools and equipment: GPS, clipboard and survey forms.
6. Personal tools and equipment: Gloves and personal protective clothes and footwear. Drinking water and food/snacks, hat, sunblock.
7. Skills and abilities needed: Walking in riverbeds and on natural terrain.
Training and certifications: Knowledge of relevant habitats and other natural resources especially identification of flora using plant keys, wildflower/leaf/bark shape, color, and features. Recognizing potential hazards encountered along trails and throughout landscape.
8. Level of physical activity: Moderately strenuous due to walking, hiking through brush.
9. Hazards or risks: Walking outdoors on natural terrain, uneven and rough ground, sometimes in remote locations. Potential cuts and punctures, potential pathogens, hazardous materials. Hazardous materials will be reported to BLM representative on site, and will not be handled or removed by volunteers. Encounters with stinging and biting insects, wildlife, allergens (dust, pollen). Encounters with undocumented immigrants, drug smugglers, hunters.